Monday, July 11, 2016

The XW sats

Finally had a couple of decent passes lined up.

Using the new rotor setup, had a 42deg pass of XW-2F, followed by
a 47deg pass of XW-2A.

Beautiful site lines for my QTH, AOS was at about 15deg, LOS about the same, for both Sats.

I'm in the shack.

N8HM, Paul, is a real amateur satellite 'heavy hitter'....  he's been working the sats HARD for many years now, and via email he gave me some tips on finding my sig, calculating doppler, for these sats.

Cool.

All set, watching my ipad tracking app.

Sats rise, I call out and wow, able to hear myself back in my FT-736R.

"CQ Satellite, hello, CQ CQ CQ Satellite, this is KA2CZU, Kilo Alpha 2 Charlie Zulu Uniform"

On I go, hearing myself, tracking through the entire sat. Occasionally tuning around for other signals.

Nothing, Nobody.

Just myself.

Ok, fine, it happens... no one on the East coast was ready to talk.

Up next, XW-2A... same drill, different satellite. Call CQ, no takers, hear myself fine... start tuning around and think I hear someone, but can't adjust the doppler properly.  Tune more, adjust the antenna and track through the pass.

Now, I'm thinking, this is ridiculous... I know this is a more popular Sat, and I think I heard others. What gives?

Simultaneous with the sneaking realization, someone else has heard me and will later send me a nice email: Hey, OP, this is {blah 8 blah blah blah} and I heard you on XW-2A, but you were  on the wrong sidebands.

DOH!

LSB up, gets inverted by the sat to, USB down.

I had my rig setup the opposite, and thus no one really wanted to waste a pass by switching themselves, telling me, and then trying to get back to working the pass.

I deserve it:

No comments: