Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Rotation

So, my current plan is to keep using the FT-736R, as much to get totally comfortable with the rig as any other reason, and thus stay inside to work satellite passes.

This has posed a dilemma as, obviously, my antenna needs to be outdoors and working a satellite like XW-2A with a fixed position antenna only works for a portion of any given pass.

My home QTH is not the best for summertime satellite work with the density of trees and other factors, but for certain common passes, I can get by.

Therefore, I have several options:

  • to go outside and manually position the antenna, that is go semi-portable with the FT-736R, which I've done... 
  • get a second FT-817 to work full duplex, and then go outside
  • only try to work FM satellites using my FT-817 plus a handheld, OR
  • get some kind of antenna rotor/positioning system in place

Thankfully, my brother gave me an old G-550 elevation rotor, but had not tested it at all.

Yesterday, I hooked it up and it seems to work AOK. I have a sturdy tripod and now just
have to come up with some kind of boom arrangement to allow me to easily mount my Elk Log Periodic to the rotor. Seems simple enough.

By visual calculations, just having this arrangement should allow me to work many high passes without worrying about azimuth corrections. The Elk is not that high gain an antenna that precludes a decent signal up or down, except for perhaps the deafest of satellites (and there is at least one, AO-85, with that reputation).

"Stoked" for trying this out, is the word!

No comments: